It can be so hard to not give in when your adorable dog gives you those sad puppy eyes and begs for the delicious treat you are enjoying, but it is very important to know which human foods can actually be doing harm to your little one. I have been there and done the whole "one for me, one for you" sharing bit, but that was before I became informed of what food I should not be spoiling my dog with. There are many, but here are some foods and ingredients that you want to avoid sharing with your dog.
Garlic & Onions
These are part of the Allium family and Garlic is five times more toxic to dogs than the rest in the Allium family. Side effects include: elevated heart rate, weakness, pale gums and collapse. If your dogs has consumed Garlic or Onions please monitor them for a few days after; delayed symptoms are common.
This nut from the Protaceae family is in the top foods that are most toxic for dogs! The symptoms are severe. Your dog may experience lethargy, vomiting, increased body temperature, inability to walk, muscle shakes, limited movement in the back legs and can affect the nervous systems.
Peanut butter is an excellent source of protein for your dog, but make sure you read the label to see if it does not contain XYLITOL. This sugar substitute can be very toxic for a dog. (Also found in candy, gum, toothpaste, baked goods and diet food.)
Avocados contain Persin, a fungicidal toxin generally not harmful to humans, but can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs if too much is ingested. If you grow your own avocados, keep your dog away because the Persin is in the leaves, bark and seeds. The seed is also a danger if accidentally swallowed.
Grapes and Raisins
Even a small amount ingested can make your dog sick. Vomitting several times is an early sign and then you will notice them being sluggish and depressed in about a day. These foods can lead to Kidney Failure. Keep your dogs away from grapes and raisins.
I know you have gotten the stare down when you are enjoying your cold treat, but steer clear from sharing ice cream with your dog because it contains a whole lot of sugar. Many dogs actually have an intolerance to lactose and staying away from milk overall is the best choice for your pup.
Many dogs are intolerant to lactose and this does not digest very well. Be cautious when giving your dogs food with milk and make yourself aware of the symptoms that go along with lactose intolerance. Vomiting, diarrhea and food allergies can occur.
Cinnamon can irritate the inside of your dog's mouth and make them sick. It can cause the blood sugar to get too low and cause vomiting, diarrhea, increased or decreased heart rate, and possible liver disease. If they inhale powder cinnamon they may have difficulty breathing and choke.
Bones and Fat Trimmings
Even though it has always been said to give the dog a bone, this is a very unsafe thing to do for your dog. Cooked and uncooked fat trimmings from meat can cause Pancreatitis in dogs. Bones can also splinter and cut or obstruct a dog's digestive system.
Peaches, Plums and Persimmons
The seeds and pits of these foods are what can do harm to your pup. They can block and cause problems in the small intestine. CYANIDE can be found in peach and plum pits which is poisonous to humans and dogs.
If your dog gets a hold on bread dough before it is cooked call your vet! Bread dough needs to rise and if ingested it will start to rise in your dog's stomach. This can cause the abdomen to stretch and become very painful for your dog. When yeast ferments to make it rise alcohol is created, which can cause alcohol poisoning if too much is ingested.
References: AKC.org , Fetch by WebMD